Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pass the Salt, Please.

Maybe some of you are starting to wonder what could be going on in my life that has rendered me so lazy that I only post a couple of times a week, and the posts are frequently pictureless. Well, I swear I've got an excellent excuse. Luckily, this time, it's not at all related to toddler vomit. Everyone here is quite healthy, actually. Even the soon-to-be newest member of our family seems to be doing just fine. Yep. That's right. My husband and I have decided to take one more trip down that road of parenthood and bring another life into this world. We'll meet the new little one in late August (harvest season, of course).

We're excited, but it's got me a bit tired. And, then there's the moodiness. Maybe emotional freakishness would be a better way of stating it. I have needed to cry quite a lot lately, but the cruel tears just tease me. They don't actually come. And, then they do. And, at most inappropriate moments. I've cried after watching only five minutes of news (granted, it was sad, but come on - five minutes?), during a kids' movie (Robots, if you're interested in the pathetic details), and while watching my husband interact with the kids.

It's starting to get a little out of hand, really. Just the other day, an old picture of my husband popped up. I looked at it for several moments, then looked at the now-him. He's still beautiful and surely always will be, but he has changed in subtle ways since the picture was taken 6 years ago. There are lines where there used to be none. There may or may not be a little more weight here and there (I'm not telling). Seeing these details made me realize that we are growing older. That's not what made me cry, though. It was actually the idea that we are growing old together that got me. I know. What a sap! But, somehow at that moment, it was such a sweet, meaningful realization to have come to.

On top of all the emotional ups and downs, I've got cravings. Nothing completely bizarre, though I've never had really strange cravings with any pregnancy. I've mostly been wanting lots of salads and salty foods. This is because salt and vinegar seem to settle my slightly nauseated stomach a bit (I could really go for a bag of Kettle - if I remember the brand right - salt and vinegar chips right about now) . And, I'm sure the light feel of green leafies doesn't hurt. I'm not into anything particularly heavy, and meat fills me with that sick, overstuffed feeling almost the moment I bite into it. Luckily for me, it's not the same at every meal, and I discovered today that beans don't do it, so that'll be my protein of choice for a while.

Well, it's time to tuck the kiddos in and decide on my after-dinner snack. Peanut butter and apples? Or perhaps an apricot milkshake? Oh, and could somebody please pass the salt?