Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

That is a pretty darn good question, actually. Unfortunately, it's not me. But, with any luck, and if we all cross our fingers (toes are probably not necessary at this point), I should have my very own button soon.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, let me explain. First, what's a button? Look over to the right in that sidebar, and you'll see plenty. A very large example of a button is the Knit the Classics one over there. If you click on it, it'll take you to their webpage (do come back, though). See now why they're handy to have? If someone puts my button on their blog, it's like having free advertising to get people to come on over. And, why do I not have one? Well, it's a combination of things really (let the excuse-making commence!).

First, there's a lack of know-how. I'm not all too familiar with Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop (don't even have Photoshop, actually).

Then, there's a lack of equipment. Well, there was until very recently. See, long ago, I drew up some artwork to properly decorate this blog. I figured some day it would turn into something. Funny thing about that, though. It doesn't turn into anything on its own. Anyway, we just got a scanner, so the equipment issue was solved.

Then, there was the all-familiar lack of motivation, which Jenla tried to remedy by publicly ridiculing gently nudging me toward moving into the year 2006. "How did they do this?", you ask. These are powerful ladies (at least in the land of knit blogs). Each year they hold an award ceremony to ring in the new year and to celebrate what's fun in knitting blogs. There are all sorts of prestigious awards given, the most coveted of which is surely the one I received. That's right, I got the ever-popular "Blogs We'd Most Like to Pressure to Get a Button" award. I know. I know. I'm trying not to let it go to my head.

And, of course, to not offend the knitblog gods (because they surely have some kind of pull with the fearsome knitting gods), I've embarked upon the creation of a button. Actually, my husband has. I'm learning that this man truly is great to have around. Not only does he do some fine jerry-rigging of antique spinning wheels, but he also knows his way around Adobe Illustrator. Definite keeper.

So, let's cross our fingers for him, because he's almost done, and it's exactly what I wanted. Yay! Just you wait and see.