Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Silly and Happy


Silly and Happy
Originally uploaded by The Stitchin Sheep.
Or Happy and Silly. It's all the same, really. No, I haven't been drinking. We've just been naming cats. I know they look a bit old to be unnamed still, but since they don't let me close enough to inspect, I haven't known their gender.

They fixed that for me the other day by play-chasing each other just outside the livingroom window. I spied on them till they caught me and ran. In their frollicking, both of them lifted their tails, and I'm about 96.236% certain they're females. It actually might explain the disappearance of the third one (remember, there were once three?). It was possibly a male, and the daddy got rid of the competition. That's my theory, anyway.

I'm not much of a feline behavioral scientist, though, so, back to the naming. The other day, I sat down with my daughter and asked her what we should call them. She came up with Happy. Why didn't I think of that? I could have just gone for gender-neutral names in the first place. You know, name them Pat and Terry. Anyway, so we then needed a name to go with Happy. I thought Silly might work out okay. So, the one on the left is Silly and the one on the right is Happy.

I really should have named them Hungry and Thirsty, though, because that's all they seem to want from me. But, hey, I've got my new socks, so what do I care if the cats don't let me pet them?